Sunday, April 18, 2010

No Regrets!


Dear Brad & fellow classmates,

I breathe a sigh of sadness relief as I pen this final blog post. Because this would mean that I no longer need to update this blog. No more having to meet the Sunday dateline. No more pressure to make comments (after this Wednesday that is).

But in spite of all these, I dare say that I never regretted setting up a blog. I would even go a step further to say that I never regretted taking this module. Because ES2007S has been instrumental in developing me into a more effective communicator.

How so? I noticed 3 elements in the structure of the course which made this possible:
1.Theoretical
2.Practical
3.Evaluation

I enjoyed the process of learning about a particular communication skill before applying it. The vast resources given on the course webpage as well as the peer teaching proved to be immensely helpful in laying the foundation for learning.

To be effective, the theoretical has to be translated to the practical. And there were ample opportunities for practice. For example, the recent oral presentation was an excellent chance to practise the “Steve Jobs” approach. Despite being apprehensive initially, I found that the minimalistic approach to slideware empowered me as a speaker to better engage the audience.

Finally, I am most thankful for the honest but tactful evaluation from Brad as well as my classmates. Being highly sensitive to criticisms, there were times where I found it particularly difficult to receive or give constructive criticisms objectively.

However, I soon realized the value of constructive criticisms as footholds for personal growth. Mountain climbers use footholds as leverage for advancing up the summit. Likewise, by actively listening to these criticisms, I was able to improve and further develop my communication skills to their full potential.

I must admit that it was daunting to have so many skilled communicators in our class. It was only after getting to know them that I realized that it took much training and perseverance to become effective communicators. This has encouraged me personally. I now consider it my fortune to be able to tap into the wealth of insights from my classmates who are experienced speakers.

To conclude, I have learnt so much about communication skills from Brad and my peers. The only limitation was the constraint of time. ES2007S was like an introductory course which has a broad coverage but barely scratched the surface. I felt that there was still so much more to learn in terms of the depth of each aspect of communication skills. Nevertheless, ES2007S was a robust package of communication skills. No regrets, I say!

Cheers,
Zhisheng

p.s. Thank you Brad & my ES2007S classmates for making this module a memorable and wonderful experience!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Zhisheng,

    I am glad that you have learnt a lot during the course, as I have. However, I do not quite agree that ES2007S has barely scratched the surface, but rather think that it has given us an important headstart into effective communications.

    Through this course, I think we have managed to cover at least the basics of effective communications and gained awareness of importance of the related skills. With this knowledge, we can then actively seek to improve ourselves by learning from non-classroom sources, and by applying the skills we have learnt in our everyday communications.

    So Zhisheng, let us all aim to practice and improve upon the skills we have learnt in this course and become even better communicators in the future! And of course, if ES2008S would to be eventually offered, I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Zhisheng,

    We seem to be gathering quite some steam on the ES2008S plan. I'm glad you have no regrets. I enjoyed interacting with you at every opportunity. It is only a pity that we didn't get an opportunity to work together in a team.

    Until next time,
    All the very best for exams!
    Cheers
    Rohan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zhisheng

    I am grateful to FATE (laughs). I thoroughly enjoyed working with you this whole module. I realise we have gone through quite a lot together this past 13 weeks... being in the same blogging group, peer teaching team, application letter and resume critique group, research team and oral presentation, class discussions... WOW!

    And in a big part of all these we also had Jolene around.

    I cannot ask for better team dynamics. Thanks for everything ZS. All the best to you in the coming exams and enjoy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very effective final post, Zhisheng. I like the way you introduce your thoughts with the idea that penning the last post is a bit of a relief. Of course! This has been quite an effort, for students and tutor alike. Of course, you go on to explain, in fine fitting fashion. I also like the way you provide the main content focus in the form of the three points. The power of three: a lesson well learned.

    Beyond all that, Zhisheng, I want to thank you for your fine effort all term. It's been a pleasure to work with you. Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zhisheng!

    I remember the first day of class when I walked it, took my seat. Then I turned away to see you, and the first thing I said was ‘Oh my goodness! Why are you here?!’ (in a joking manner of course!)

    It has been a great pleasure working with you during the peer teaching! And most definitely, it has been a great pleasure having you as a classmate. We probably won’t have another opportunity to take another module together. Thank you for being such a wonderful friend and classmate! :)

    Good luck in your revision!

    ~nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Zhisheng!

    First things first. Datelines are for sad and desperate individuals to call when they are feeling lonely. I believe you were referring to deadlines. (HAHA)

    I guess it all voices down to interpersonal skills. Having the ability to understand your audience is very important in giving feedback to them. Some individuals are more open to direct (in your face) feedback, while for some others, you might wish to use a more tactful approach.

    Although there's a lot more to learn, but I guess it's time to put what we have learnt into practise.

    Hope to see you around soon and good luck for your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! Thanks Kun Lin for pointing out that hilarious mistake! I bet you had a great laugh over it! Rather than changing the word, I'm going to leave it there to remind myself of my own silliness. To think I didn't spot it even though I read my post many times through!

    Thank you all for your kind words! ES2007S wouldn't be the same without each and everyone of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your reflections were well-structured into reviewing the theoretical, practical and evaluation components of the class. I feel that you already are a competent communicator in your own right and all of us have learnt from you in our many class discussions as well. See you at the barbecue! (hopefully)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jie Ren for your very kind words. I really appreciate it! I have learnt much from you as well. And yes I do hope to see you at the bbq too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Zhi Sheng,

    Really in depth post and it got me to reflect on my own methods of giving feedback and criticisms. I’ve always thought that you have a really cool, calm and composed presentation style and it really suits you. With more practice, I’m sure you can be even better. Therefore, keep trying!

    All the best for your exams

    ReplyDelete